How To Care For Your Lillies
Lillies are one of the most well-known and beloved flowers among florists and plant lovers due to its ability to deliver beautiful arrangements and bouquets.
Lillies make a perfect gift for an anniversary bringing colour and joy on arrival. You don’t have to wait until an anniversary, they are great year-round!
Here you will learn more about this plant as well as how to care for lillies to ensure that your bouquet remains beautiful and healthy for weeks at your home.
The different types of Lillies
There are over 100 species of this plant, but there are three main types that we see more frequently in potted plants or vertical gardens, each with their own unique characteristics.
Longuiflorum lillies are distinguished by the fact that their blossoms are always light in colour, being either white or cream. They usually have very large flowers, similar to the oriental lily.
Oriental lillies is one of the most popular lily varieties. They are notable for their pleasant aroma as well as their stunning blossoms, often the chosen ones for long lasting cut flowers. Its huge and attractive blossoms come in a variety of colours, with white, yellow, pink, orange, and red lilies.
Asiatic lillies are bred from several different species of lilies. They have 3 to 6 flowers per stem, and the petals are often spotted. They have smaller petals than orientals and a wider range of colours. It is available in white, purple, pink, cream, and orange.
|The most well-known of all the lillies is the white lily, which is associated with spiritual purity and youthful creativity. As a result, it's frequently used to put together floral arrangements for weddings.||
Pink lillies are associated with love, sensuality, admiration, and friendship. They are associated with feminine caring characteristics and platonic love for one another.
Taking care of your Lillies
Your Flower Fix Lillies are a lovely cut flowers choice to brighten your and your loved ones day. Follow these procedures to properly care for them so you can enjoy their great show for days on end:
- Remove all the pretty papers and let the flowers speak for themselves.
- Re-cut the stems at a 45 degree angle to a length suitable for the vase. This will ensure that the ends of the stems are fresh and open for water.
- Fill a vase of cool (not super cold), clean water half way up. You want the water level to meet the stems but not reach the foliage - make sure there's no greenery below the water line.
- Keep them out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Lilies require sunlight to flourish, but once cut, they thrive in a cool, shady location away from direct sunlight.
- Replace the water. Replace the water in the vase every few days to keep the flowers looking fresher for longer.
- Pollen on the tips of the stamens of the flowers should be removed as soon as possible since it might eat away at the petals of your lillies.
Lucky you, we have lovely white and pink lillies arrangements from which to choose, ranging from 5 to 20 stems! It's easy to get beautiful, fresh flowers delivered in Melbourne on the same day or ordered ahead of time with Your Flower Fix.
Keep up to date
Roses are red, violets are blue, pop your email below and we’ll contact you!